Are basketball shoes good for handball? Handball is a less popular game than badminton, basketball, volleyball, and tennis. All these court games have a wide range of sports gear. So, you get a lot of options to choose the best one for you.
Unfortunately, you have few options available in handball. You want an aesthetic and performance shoe but can’t find one. That’s when you think basketball shoes are perfect for handball. but
- Do basketball shoes perform as well as handball shoes?
- Do they give you enough cushioning to support the leg muscles when you make high dunks and hard landings?
- Does it protect the ankles while supporting the ankles in side-to-side movements?
- Are basketball shoes durable enough to withstand the stress you put on the material as you run, jump, and fall on the hardwood court?
Keep reading this article till the end because you will get all the answers and recommendations about the best alternative shoes you can wear in a handball game.
check out: Can You Use Basketball Shoes For Baseball?
- 1 Are basketball shoes good for handball?
- 2 Supportive features in basketball shoes for handball
- 3 Advantages of wearing basketball shoes in handball
- 4 Disadvantages of wearing basketball shoes in handball
- 5 DIY test to find a non-marking outsole
- 6 Best alternative handball shoes
- 7 Conclusion
Are basketball shoes good for handball?
Yes, handball players can wear basketball shoes for handball. Both games have striking similarities in playoff styles. When you throw the handball into the net, the player needs to make high jumps to knock down the opponent player and successfully score a goal. When the handball is crossed between players at both ends of the court, players perform lateral movements similar to those in basketball games.
Hence, basketball shoes are a good alternative. Adidas and Musino have their shoe line for specific handball shoes. But if you are looking for a basketball shoe as a handball shoe, be careful when choosing one by looking at the outsole.
The thin and flat outsole is perfect for the handball court as it leaves no marks and does not damage the court surface.
Second, you should choose light shoes for handball. So never buy heavy Li-Ning or LeBron basketball shoes.
Supportive features in basketball shoes for handball
Basketball shoes are suitable for handball on several levels. Here are some of the best features you can find in basketball shoes when worn as basketball shoes.
Better traction of basketball shoes
Basketball shoes have very grippy uppers that protect you from slipping while you play handball.
Make sure you play on a cleaner handball court, as dust on the outsole can reduce grip on the floor. And may slip on the court and get injured.
Great torsional support
Basketball shoes have either a carbon fiber shank plate or a plastic midsole plate. Its length is a variable that serves two purposes.
One protects the legs from bending too much to avoid injury. This makes its base slightly stiffer to prevent bending.
Second, the shank plate acts as a base to store potential energy when the player exerts pressure before jumping into the handball game. Since the shank plate is a stiff base, it will add a few inches to the jump height.
Basketball shoes have excellent cushioning and comfort levels. Step-in comfort is better than any other court shoes like tennis or badminton shoes.
Also, the balanced cushioning in most shoes makes them great for jumping and dunks in handball. So that feature alone makes them perfect for handball.
Breathable and supportive material
Basketball shoes have a very comfortable and supportive upper. It provides a comfortable feel and is lightweight and breathable.
So, in a game like a handball, which requires a lot of agility and footwork, the lightweight and breathable material will keep your stamina and not let you tire out during the long summer day game.
Top-tier ankle support
Basketball shoes have excellent ankle protection features. Many high-top shoes have inner sock liners that give the ankle a snug, snug feel. This keeps the heel locked in and reduces your risk of injury.
Also, the thick ankle area prevents the ankles and Achilles’ muscles from bending and pulling in any direction. thus reducing the risk of injury.
Advantages of wearing basketball shoes in handball
- Basketball shoes are very supportive of flat feet and ankles.
- You get top-tier traction in basketball shoes
- These are very convenient
- Excellent lateral container
- These are very stylish shoes
- They will provide a better fit
Disadvantages of wearing basketball shoes in handball
- Basketball shoes are not lightweight; Generally, the ideal shoe weight for a handball game should be around 10 ounces. Lightweight basketball shoes are hard to find.
- The outsole of basketball shoes should not have prominent nubs to leave a mark on the handball court. You can test the outsole yourself using a DIY method.
- Basketball shoes are very expensive. If you want to get a decent pair of basketball shoes, it can cost around $150 and up.
DIY test to find a non-marking outsole
Take a piece of white paper and place it on a flat surface. Now rub the outer sole of the shoe without tearing the page. If it leaves a scuff mark on the paper, it’s not an unmarked shoe.
Best alternative handball shoes
By now you must be wondering why it is such a long and hectic process to find out if a shoe is lightweight. Is its exterior unmarked? Don’t worry, I’ve done the hard part for you.
These are 4 shoes that you can wear as your handball shoes on the handball court.
- One that is At the top of my list is the Adidas Dam 8. These are non-marking and lightweight shoes. But its midsole is super supportive of high jumps with a full-length bounce cushion. The same cushioning technology is applied to their handball shoes.
- Under Curry 9 it’s a good choice for a low-profile setup and a handball court-friendly outsole. With a one-piece outsole and midsole, Flow Foam technology makes it a nimble, supportive, and grippy shoe.
- Puma Court Rider Chaos A lightweight basketball shoe that features a Profoam midsole with full-length EVA. The outsole is grippy and non-marking for the handball court.
- Jordan One Take 4 This is another great option for handball drop in the line of takedown models from Jordan and is much more expensive than the main shoe line like the Air Jordan 36.
I always advise a trainer to wear the right shoes for that sport as it makes a huge difference.
But handball is a game very similar to basketball in its movements and footwork. That’s why it’s okay to wear them as an alternative shoe at the beginner level.