To be a good basketball coach, you need to constantly evolve. You will have to constantly learn new methods and techniques. As the great John Wooden once said,
“If I am through learning, I am through.”
I played basketball for over 20 years. If arguably the greatest basketball coach ever has that mentality, you know how important it is to success. No matter how much knowledge you have learned in the past, you will never know everything.
A great way to learn or continue to learn the game of basketball is to hear what others have to say and have learned about the game. Basketball coaching books can provide a good perspective on different strategies that can help you in your coaching.
- 1 Who should get it
- 2 Top picks of best basketball coaching books
- 2.1 1. Wood on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organization
- 2.2 2. Survival Guide to Coaching Youth Basketball
- 2.3 3. Basketball Drills, Plays, and Strategies: A Comprehensive Resource for Coaches
- 2.4 4. Blackboard strategies: more than 200 favorite scenes of successful coaches for almost every possible situation (winning hoops)
- 2.5 5. Basketball Coaching: A multiple-option system based on Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks
- 2.6 6. Basketball Playbook How to coach the offense of the San Antonio Spurs
- 2.7 7. Basketball Coaching: How to Coach the Dribble Drive Motion Offense
- 2.8 8. Basketball Game Strategies and Tactics: Bench Coaching for Success
- 2.9 9. NBA Coaches Playbook: Techniques, Tactics, and Teaching Points
- 2.10 10. Basketball on Paper: Rules and Tools for Performance Analysis
- 3 Tips and resources
- 4 Final Words
Who should get it
Coaching basketball can be a lot of fun, but also very demanding. Whether you’re helping out with your child’s youth league team or you’re a professional basketball coach, you’re bound to need help along the way. All coaches at any level should be constantly learning the game and basketball books are a great resource to help you develop as a coach.
Whether you’re looking for help with new plays, new coaching philosophies, or new coaching styles, there’s always something new to pick up along the way. Even if you read a book and find you don’t like the style of play it describes, it can help you recognize a specific offense another team uses in a game and help you teach your team how to defend against it.
The majority of basketball coaching books out there have good content and something everyone can learn from. Below is our list of some of the best basketball coaching books. Look at them and read as much as you can. You can never have too much knowledge.
Top picks of best basketball coaching books
This is a list of great coaching books – some covering leadership, playing style, and/or offensive and defensive strategies – that you’ll benefit from regardless of your skill or experience level. These are in no particular order and I would recommend reading as many of them as possible.
1. Wood on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organization
Coach Wooden is one of the greatest coaches of all time and the epitome of a winner. This book is about leadership, how to lead your team, and how to create leaders in your team. This book is not only good for basketball, but for any sport and even for business or life in general. This is just one of several John Wooden books and I would recommend reading any of his books if you have a chance.
2. Survival Guide to Coaching Youth Basketball
If you are thinking of coaching your child’s youth league team, this is a great book to help you get started. It is essentially a coaching 101 guide and will help you plan for all aspects of coaching, such as how to handle practices, drills, and game situations. If you are already coaching a youth league and you feel lost, this book can help you get back on track.
3. Basketball Drills, Plays, and Strategies: A Comprehensive Resource for Coaches
If you have the basics of coaching, this book can help you take things to the next level. Whether you’re teaching beginners or experienced players, this is a great resource for practice drills, plays, and strategies. It can also be a good refresher if you’ve been out of the game for a while and are getting back into coaching.
4. Blackboard strategies: more than 200 favorite scenes of successful coaches for almost every possible situation (winning hoops)
This is one you might want to keep with you on the sidelines. It has almost 200 plays for almost any situation. Whether you are an experienced trainer or a beginner, you will find this book to be a great resource. This book is like a Swiss army knife for coaching.
5. Basketball Coaching: A multiple-option system based on Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks
This is an advanced coaching book intended for someone who is already very familiar with the game of basketball. It teaches an offensive system based on the system used by Kansas Jayhawks coach Bill Self.
6. Basketball Playbook How to coach the offense of the San Antonio Spurs
This is another advanced coaching book that teaches basketball philosophy, drills, plays and more. It is based on the system used by the San Antonio Spurs. Not only does it present exercises and plays, but it explains in detail how and why they should be used.
7. Basketball Coaching: How to Coach the Dribble Drive Motion Offense
This advanced coaching book teaches the dribbling drive movement offensive system. This system is positionless so it can be adjusted to suit any type of player. This is similar to the system used by the Golden State Warriors.
8. Basketball Game Strategies and Tactics: Bench Coaching for Success
9. NBA Coaches Playbook: Techniques, Tactics, and Teaching Points
Get insights from NBA coaches with this book. It details the Xs and O’s of many concepts and plays used by some great NBA coaches and players.
10. Basketball on Paper: Rules and Tools for Performance Analysis
Check out basketball numbers and statistics and learn how to use them to improve your coaching decisions. This book doesn’t provide plays or drills, but it does help you learn how to use stats to put your best players on the floor and in winning situations.
Tips and resources
As I mentioned at the beginning of this list, I would recommend reading anything written by or about Coach John Wooden. He was a true coaching genius and his philosophies extended far beyond basketball. If you want to find out more about Coach Wooden and what others have learned from him, check out this short documentary called “Coach: The Life and Legacy of John R. Wooden”.
You can also read our handpicked list of the best basketball coaching programs so you can learn on the go.
Also, read: How To Become A Basketball Coach
As you can see, there are numerous basketball coaching books for all different levels of coSome books coverat cover many different areas such as leadership, strategies, and systems. There are even detailed books that give you plays for any situation.
If you are a basketball coach at any level, it is important to continue to learn as much as you can about the game of basketball. The books we’ve listed above offer a variety of subjects that can help any coach improve their game. If you want to become a serious coach who can lead a basketball team to greatness, I would recommend reading as many basketball books as you can.
Do you have any good basketball book recommendations? Give us some feedback and let us know what you think.