Any team sport has specific rules regarding the number of players and substitutions. Basketball is a famous sports game all over the world. For basketball, of course, many were surprised How many players are on a basketball team??”.
- 1 How many players are on a basketball team?
- 2 What role do five players play on a basketball court?
- 3 How long is a basketball game?
- 4 Basketball Rules of Substitutions
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
How many players are on a basketball team?
According to NBA rules, the number of players in a basketball team is 12 players. In this, there are five players on the court at the same time and unlimited substitutions.
There are two main forms of basketball competition: street basketball and professional basketball. Both these forms have different numbers of players on the field and different substitutes.
According to the regulations of the world basketball federation FIBA, there are two main forms of competition. A basketball team will have an appropriate number of players for each form.
1. Street basketball: Number of players on the court
Street basketball, also known as 3×3 basketball, is a type of basketball often used for training.
As its other name “3×3 Basketball” suggests, the number of members in each team is:
- The number of players on each basketball team: 3 players on the court.
- The number of substitute players: 1 player.
- The number of Head Coaches: 1 person.
- Assistant Coach: 2 to 3 coaches.
With this type of basketball, only 3 players on each side need to play on the court and one basketball.
See more: Who is the oldest player in NBA right
2. Professional basketball: Number of players on the court
A typical professional basketball tournament for this type of competition is the NBA. This is the American Basketball League.
This type of competition is the most used and popular on the basketball court. Another name for this form of basketball competition is “5×5 competitive basketball”. The number of people on the respective basketball team will be:
- The number of players per team: 5 players on the court.
- Number of Substitutes: 7 players.
- The number of Head Coaches: 1 person.
- Assistant Coach: 2 to 3 coaches.
Each team is only allowed 5 people on the basketball court at a time.
In addition to the main positions, there may also be a team doctor, a team manager, etc.
What role do five players play on a basketball court?
1. Point guard
This player almost decides the attack of the entire team. This guy is the one who creates the offense for the whole team. The point guard is usually the best dribbler on the team. His ability to steal and hold the ball well should be excellent. It has to be handled well and take responsibility for hitting the ball the most in the team.
2. Shooting guard
This position is an all-round playing position. The shooting guard throws the most in the competition. Usually, when the team loses, people often criticize this stance.
The shooting guard has another special mission that focuses on blocking the opposing team’s best shooters. He’s usually taller than a point guard.
Also, he should be able to dribble, shoot, and hit the basket well.
3. Small forward
This position is similar to shooting guard. Usually, people can switch shooting guard positions to this position.
But the shooting guard is the best dribbler. Meanwhile, the small forward is often positioned around the field or inside the 3-point line.
In the defensive position, this position usually rebounds, drives the ball up quickly, and wins the ball. Therefore, active players in this position require physical strength, agility, and strategy.
Otherwise, it would be better if you can hit the basket and throw it well.
4. Power forward
This PF position is responsible for threatening competitors outside or inside the penalty area. The aim is to lighten the burden on the center.
The bottom line is that the power forward can also play the center position. When the center passes the ball to this position, he needs to pay attention to the entire area under the backboard. Therefore, this position requires NBA players to be able to drive to the basket, compete and catch the ball.
The role of this position is mainly blocking and rebounding. This position is enough for the opponent to feel resistance in the box.
The center should be very strong and tall. These are two prerequisites. He needs to play decisively and aggressively.
How long is a basketball game?
Depending on the level of basketball competition, playing time will also vary.
The level of competition and level of play will determine how long the match lasts.
Also, the timing of the basketball game varies from level to level. We’ll talk about some of the major levels like high school, college, NBA, NCCA, and professional basketball.
1. FIBA - International Amateur Basketball Federation
According to FIBA rules, a basketball game has 40 minutes of play. In this, people divide the time into 4 rounds, each session lasting 10 minutes. Also, there will be a break time between rounds.
Each team has about 20 minutes to prepare before the start of the match.
Between the 1st and 2nd halves, there is a fixed rest time of 2 minutes.
Between the 2nd and 3rd halves, the break lasts more than 15 minutes. This is the time when teams change pitches and prepare to go to the next inning.
Between the third and fourth rounds, the fixed rest time is 2 minutes.
After 4 main rounds, we get the final result of the match. However, if two teams of equal ability have the same points, they will play 2 extra periods.
In the first overtime, if one of the two teams scores more goals, that team wins.
If the score is still tied, the second overtime will continue.
The interval between additional periods will also be 2 minutes.
Note: The halftime interval starts counting from the time the game clock announces the end of the game.
2. NBA – National Basketball Association – James Naismith – Father of Basketball
In NBA, each round is longer than in FIBA. Total playing time is 48 minutes in 4 halves ie 12 minutes/round.
The rest time between the 2nd and 3rd rounds is the same as FIBA’s 15 minutes. The interval between additional periods will be 5 minutes.
To organize an NBA game, the total time from preparation to playing and relaxing is about 2 hours.
3. NCAA – National Collegiate Athletic Association
With the aforementioned two tournaments, the college basketball team has more basketball time. Game time is 20 minutes for each round.
Extra innings and halftime between 2 and 3 are equivalent to the NBA.
4. High school basketball
This is the game with the shortest playing time. Each round has 8 minutes of play.
The fixed rest time between the 2nd and 3rd halves is 10 minutes. Extra time is 4 minutes.
Basketball Rules of Substitutions
- During a substitution, a team may substitute one, two, or more players at a time.
- Players can only be substituted with the approval of the referees.
- Substitute players remain outside the touchline until allowed to enter by the referee.
- When a substitution is made, the substituted player goes straight and sits on the bench in his team’s area.
- When changing players, do it as quickly as possible. The maximum replacement time is 30 seconds.
- A free throw player may substitute only in the following cases:
- The free throw player is injured and cannot play immediately.
- The free thrower is fined or ejected.
- Cannot be substituted during or after free throws.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a dead ball in basketball?
- A dead ball is when a player successfully throws the ball or completes free throws.
- When the referee blows his whistle to stop play for some reason.
- The clock signals the end of the game.
- Provides 24-second clock signals.
- When a player on one side breaks a rule and the referee blows the whistle to stop play.
2. What are the losing situations under the rules of basketball?
A team loses if the basketball team commits the following offense:
Before the start of the match, the basketball team without 5 players on the field immediately loses.
Some actions prevent the game from running.
3. Basketball Rules of Fouls Related to Bad Sense
Like many other sports, sportsmanship is very important in basketball.
- Any athlete or coach who violates the rules of basketball.
- Basketball players or coaches make offensive words and actions on the court.
- Athletes use tricks to stop an opponent illegally.
- The player intentionally injures an opponent.
- Players or coaches use inappropriate words or actions to protest a referee’s decision.
- Particularly heavy fines for players or coaches of both teams fighting on the court.
Now you have found the answer to the question “How many people are on a basketball team”, right? Basketballguide is very knowledgeable about the rules of basketball. We hope you have great basketball games with your friends.